Answers to the most frequently asked questions
Why are there three different packages offered and which one and why to choose?
Some customers want a comfortable and fast turnkey house solution while others would like to be more involved in the house construction, for example, by doing the interior finishing themselves. Depending on the extent of the works the customer wants to carry out or organize, we offer three different packages:
1. What is the factory package and what does it include?
This package is suitable for DIY builders and those who want to participate more in the process of the house construction, but yet have it done as fast as possible and use secure solutions developed by engineers. The package includes the architectural, water supply, sewerage, electricity, heating and ventilationblueprint project. Our factory will produce you the main elements and structures you need: external walls, internal load-bearing walls, false ceiling elements and trusses / roof carriers. These products are stored in the stock of our factory in Viljandi and can be ordered and assembled on the plot for additional cost.
In order to install the electrical wiring faster and easier, we have installed plastic pipes, branch boxes and outlets in the external and bearing interior walls. Additionally, the switches and plugs locations are already comfortably in place in accordance with the electrical project. External walls of the house are built on a double frame and the vapor barrier film is installed between the two frames to speed up the electrical works and avoid the film getting damaged during the wiring installation.
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
2. What is the prefabricated house and what does it include?
The package includes the architectural, water supply, sewerage, electricity, heating and ventilationblueprint project. The house is made up from modules that already have all the wiring, electrical shield, water and sewer pipes installed. The house will be constructed on the site with all theinterior works (painting, tiling, window sills installation) completed. The house is fitted with windows and doors as well as balconies and balcony partitions. The exterior works are completely finished, the roof covering (parapets / eaves box works are completed), gutters and exterior window sills are installed. The façade of the house is fully completed and you can immediately continue with interior finishing.
The price does not include acquiring a building permit (depends on the municipal rules), foundation (depends on the soil of the plot), interior finishing (including painting and tiling) or installations after painting and tiling works (interior doors, switches and plugs on the wall, sanitary equipment, radiators, heating and ventilation devices of secondary rooms, lighting, furniture and landscaping).
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
3. What is the turnkey package and what does it include?
The house is finished inside and out.
The price does not includeacquiring a building permit (depends on the municipal rules), foundation (depends on the soil of the plot), lighting, furniture or landscaping.
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
Who will build the foundation and how much does it cost?
The price of the basement construction depends on the soil of the land. Since we deliver your house on the land as ready modules (the floor is already insulated and finished in factory), the house does not need an overly expensive foundation and can be built on a simple crawlspace or pile foundation with an average price of 5000 euros. Installing plinth tiles is optional and its price depends on the cost of the finishing. If desired, a more expensive strip foundation can be built instead. In addition to the price of the foundation, it takes an average of 2000 euros to create connections to water, sewerage, electricity and pipelines in the foundation. We will arrange the basement construction for you. If you wish, you can look for the foundation builder yourself.
What is the external wall, the roof, the intermediate ceiling and the floor of the house made of?
How long does it take to build the house?
Factory package production process may take up to a month, production and assembly of the turnkey house takes 2-3 months. The foundation is usually constructed simultaneously with the house.
Is it possible to order the project only?
From us, you can order a special project exactly to your needs.
I have chosen the house, but I do not have a land yet – what should I do?
We or our partners will assist you in finding a suitable plot.
What is the price if the location of the plot lies 200 km from Tallinn?
Usually, it does not considerably change the price of our products or assembly of the house. In most cases, the additional cost will remain within 1,000 euros, depending on the exact location of the plot.
Can the interior layout be changed?
The interior layout can be changed in any way. In case you have not found the suitable solution from our choice, it is possible to create a new one to your wishes and needs.
But the external layout – can there be any changes made?
It is possible to make some changes in the external layout as well. However, the detailed plan limitations for finishing materials and architectural requirements must to be followed.
I have chosen the house, but it does not have a garage – is it possible to attach it?
Adding a garage or car shelter to the house is possible, but you must always take into account the construction site and the requirements of the detailed plan in case where the garage is a separate outbuilding on the plot.
Is it possible to design a completely new house?
Our architects are happy to find a new solution if you have not found a suitable house project from our catalog.
I like the architectural style of the house offered, but because of the shape of the land it cannot be constructed on the building area. What should I do?
It is necessary to specify the building area of the plot and the detailed plan requirements for the building. Usually, it is possible to adjust aproject to the existing plot.
What documents are needed before applying for the building permit?
Extract of the detailed plan and / or design criteria.
The geodetic base plan of the plot in electronic form
Technical conditions of water and sewerage
Technical conditions of electricity supply
A copy of the document confirming land ownership right
Cadastral map of the land unit
The interior layout does not include a sauna ora fireplace. Is it possible to add these?
If to change the interior layout of the house, it is usually possible to attach both a sauna and a fireplace. However, adding new rooms can reduce the number and size of bedrooms and their ease of use for houses less than 90 m².
How long does it take to construct a factory package on the plot?
Depending on the size and type of the house as well as the location of the plot, it takes 2-5 days.
Do you have stone houses in the catalog?
Yes, we offer the design and construction of stone houses.
Should I choose a stone house constructed on the site or a house produced in factory?
In either case, it is possible to achieve first-class quality. However, we do not build timber frame houses on the plot, as it is hard to guarantee the best quality in our climate.
What are the advantages of a stoned house?
Stoned house technology has been widely used in centuries. It is the most preferred type of building in Estonia, as there are considerably less low-energy houses built in high-quality factories. For example, in Germany, where the building technology of our factory comes from, businesses constructing houses indoors have a high reputation because of their trusted quality. For instance, many of these first-class houses selling businesses competing to us (e.g. http://www.huf-haus.com, etc.) are selling their houses for an average of 300 000 euros. In Estonia, the prices are much lower and already for 150 000 euros you can get a high-quality result.
How much more expensive is a stone house?
Stone house is definitely a very good choice, but the buyer must consider a larger budget. Here is an example of a 164 m² house:
1) The house box without interior and exterior finishing costs 21,452 euros more. The reason is that building in factory is much faster and more convenient than doing it on the site where working is harder as achieving equivalent performance and quality requires more time and precision. It takes considerably more working hours, which is the main difference. In addition, the logistics is more complicated and expensive – the materials have to be delivered in small amounts and both the transportation and materials are costlier (as the material is bought in large quantities and it is delivered by container loads directly from the factory, not a store).
2) Stone house foundation is usually much more expensive because the weight: the factory-built house weighs 106 tons, but, depending on the weight of the selected blocks and false ceiling design, the stone house weighs an average of 145 tons. The price can be reduced to minimal if the house is built on a limestone or gravel surface. In most cases, if the foundation is built on a surface with a lot of swamp, turf or floating sand, it can cost at least 10 000 euros more. For the particular house with an average surface, the foundation would be 6317 euros costlier. For a foundation, the exact price always depends onthe geodesic and geological information. In case you have not bought a plot, we strongly recommend you to have a geological examination, which costs 200-300 euros, but can save you a considerable amount of money.
3) In order to plaster the external façade, scaffolding has to be rented on the site and performing works takes 1.5 times more working hours compared to factory. The façade will works cost 5538 euros more. Additionally, if the work is carried out in the cold period of time or rainy season, the house needs a costly weatherproof tent.
4) Ventilation and electrical works for a stone house will cost 4087 euros more.
5) To achieve the same energy class as a house built in factory, the house built on the plot needs to have thicker walls. To avoid increasing the construction area (foundation and façade), the external walls decrease the interior area bya total of 8.4 m2. This means that in addition to costs mentioned above, the house building expenses will be 5.1% higher per m² living space, as all of the other costs remain almost the same, but the house is a total area of 164 m², instead of 155.6 m2.
What are the advantages of a factory-built house to a stone house?
1. Better insulation, which is much harder to achieve for a stone house.
2. Better sound insulation.
3. Stabile budget. When signing a contract, you know exactly how much your house will cost. Stone house construction period is longer and usually only the price ofthe next stage of construction is specified. Service provider does not want to make a quotation for a work that will be carried out after 6 months, because the prices of materials and wages may increase in time. Building in factory has shorter deadlines, lower prices for materials are guaranteed by long-term contracts and contracts with employees are more stable.
4. Higher quality – triple quality control. In factory, the houses are built in the environment where there is no humidity, the temperature is 16-22 degrees, and the humidity-proof house will be finished on the site with 1-5 days. But stone house needs a long period of time for the humidity to separate. In factory, the material is cut by machines with a precision of 1 mm and and installed in ideal conditions. The work is accurate, fast and performed by people who have long-time experience in the field. The work is performed in guarded premises where everything is double-checked b internal supervision carried out by an experienced production manager. Before the modular house is transported to the plot, the piping is additionally pressurized and electrical systems are measured. The third quality check is done on the site. For each operation, we know the exact name of the contractor who carried out a particular work, which guarantees the responsibility of our workers. The team is working in convenient conditions where safety is ensured and overtime is avoided, because quality results we require cannot be achieved by tired and unhappy workers. Our core team has remained the same for many years, since 2004. The team has experience with more than 200 buildings, including constructing detached houses, terraced houses and apartment buildings for very demanding customers (among others from Germany, France, Norway, Sweden and Finland).
5. Speed – you will save 5-12 months! When the factory house is built by the time the foundation is finished, the construction works for a stone house cannot start after the foundation is ready. Building a stone house typically takes 6-18 months, depending on the competence as well as the schedule and workforce opportunities of the construction company. We can finish a factory-built house in 2-3 months and a stone house can be completed on the site in 8-12 months.
How does a house built on the site and differ on the outside from the house built in factory?
For our houses, you cannot see any visual difference. No-one can say whether it is a factory-built house or a stone house built on the site. In both cases, the house façade is covered by plaster and the same construction boards are used inside.
How to build with the lowest expenses?
We can not really recommend it, but many of our customers of years 2004-2013 have operated as follows. They ordered the design and the factory package from us, in order to get the suitable blueprint project fast and to ensure the quality of the most essential parts of building a house. From small construction businesses, they ordered foundation works and interior finishing, paying for it with cash. We are a manufacturing company where every action is official, so we do not do cash settlements or transactions without VAT, but it is often practiced in the Estonian construction market to save money. From 2014, tax authorities have been making frequent raids to private houses construction sites which have resulted in increasing disadvantageous tax decisions for the owners. In case if the property owner fails to prove that they have officially paid for the construction works or the workers on the site are not included in the tax authorities employees register and the taxes of their work are unpaid, they may require the property owner as an employer to pay income and social taxes for all the work performed as for any other employer. In casethe taxes are not paid or the decision is not contested, the tax authorities may seize the property to cover the debt. The tax authorities get the information about new construction permits from the construction register and will come on the site without prior notice. In Estonia, there are 130 new detached houses built in a month and these sites are easy for the tax authorities to check. If you want the taxes to be paid, the whole project guaranteed and the business to be easy for you, we recommend you to order all the works from one company.
How do our houses have low heating costs?
All of our houses meet the new restricted energy efficiency standards introduced in March 2013. Before applying for a building permission, each house will be provided with an energy certificate by an independent certifier who verifies that the heating and ventilating of our houses consume up to a maximum of 60 kWh of electrical energy per closed net area square meter of a house in a year. Here is an excerpt of a PassiveHouse report according to which the the energy costs (shown in red) of our turnkey houses are more than 3 times lower than the average of Estonia:
In this calculation, the average price of electricity with taxes for two-tariff package is estimated 1.2 EUR / kWh. Consequently, the heating and ventilation costs for one square meter of total area is (60 kWh (m²a) x 1.2 EUR / kWh = 7.2 EUR) 7.2 EUR per year (0.6 EUR per month). For example, heating and ventilation of a 150 m2 house consumes electricity for 1080 EUR per year (approx. 90 EUR per month). If you use geothermal heating instead of air-to-water heat pump, the costs are even lower. The rise in electricity price will increase your costs if you are using air-to-water heat pump or geothermal heating, but you will still pay less than you would pay for heating an old house. In the future, you will save a considerable amount of money and it will be easier to sell your house on the secondary market, as heating bills is one of the first things people pay attention to when buying real estate. Eventually, you spend much more money on a house with very high heating costs than you would by paying a home loan monthly payment for the construction of a new economical house.